Yessss! This is the best type of chicken. You know the kind? Crispy on the outside, but so succulent and flavourful when you take a bite. Seriously one of my top ways to cook chicken!
My air fryer has been with me a couple of months, and it’s not going anywhere ever!! I love it!
Ok so let’s get down to business, a couple of things to note. Can you make this with other parts of chicken? Yes, definitely, but I do think that thighs work particularly well in this recipe as they are on the bone and there is a higher fat content than in for example, chicken breast, making for a juicier chicken!
That said, if you want less calories, then by all means use breast of chicken and even remove the skin. Cooking times will be shorter if there is no bone so just make sure you observe that.
Can you make the sauce without the chilli? Again, yes of course. I like chilli so I put it in, but you can substitute it for a milder sauce if you wish.
The lime is important for the marinade as it tenderises the chicken meaning it is much more succulent.
Ok let’s do this! Let me know how you get on!
Crispy Air Fried Chicken Thighs
For the marinade
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1/2 lime – squeezed
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric optional
- 1/4 tsp sichuan pepper powder optional
- 1 tsp umami optional
- 2 tsp toban djan (chilli bean sauce) or any kind of savoury chilli sauce
- 8 chicken thighs – bone in skin on
- 250 g tenderstem broccoli
- sesame seeds and spring onions to garnish
- cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and mix together. Add the chicken thighs and leave for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the thighs from the marinade and place in an air fryer set to 185C. Cook for around 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 75C. Depending on the size of your air fryer, this will need to be done in batches, so leave the chicken in the marinade until it is time to air fry it. You might also need to turn the chicken over half way through the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, cut the bottom tips of the broccoli off before steaming for 6-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Put the leftover marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer – keep simmering for 5 -10 minutes – the sauce will thicken slightly.
- Once the thighs are ready brush with some sauce, and garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds. Drizzle some sauce over the broccoli and serve up with some steamed rice!