How have I never made these lemon blueberry yogurt muffins before? I have no idea! They are clearly super tasty but I think what makes them top dog is the addition of yogurt. The yogurt really adds a softness to the texture which isn’t there otherwise. It almost makes it more decadent in a way, but don’t let that fool you into thinking that means it’s heavy. It’s soo not! It’s actually super light – like how?! I don’t know – we have the yogurt to thank for that though.
Any other tips for these Lemon and Blueberry Yogurt Muffins?
Well as it happens there are! You know how I love to add spice right? So with these muffins I added a dash of cinnamon too. You can taste notes of it but it’s not overpowering at all, so the lemon and blueberries are still the dominant flavours, as they should be.
Any you know what else? I used oil instead of butter. This also contributes to a more moist muffin. I think I might actually prefer it to using butter now! For an even tastier muffin, butter and oil are added in equal measure, giving you the taste but also the moistness! (But I was going for all out healthy so I omitted the butter – and I have to say it was still super tasty!)
The final thing I did was to use less sugar than for example when making cupcakes. So you could say that muffins are quite healthy too? At the very least they are definitely healthier than cupcakes!
What other ingredients could I use?
Ok so once you’ve made these a couple of times you might want to make muffins with other ingredients. There’s plenty of ingredients you could choose from – bananas, apricots, oranges, cinnamon, ginger, chocolate, pear, maple syrup, peanut butter….and the list goes on!
If you do want to make some cupcakes instead though (if you’re feeling less virtuous!!) then why not try my Rose and Cardamom Cupcakes or how about my Blueberry Lime cake if you want to continue with the blueberry and citrus flavours?
The best part with muffins though is that pretty much all muffins will still be healthier than their cupcake counterparts because there is less sugar and fat PLUS muffins don’t have frosting so it’s a win win!
Well, what are you waiting for?!! 😁
Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Muffins
- 140 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 60 g plain yogurt
- 115 ml vegetable oil or any flavourless oil (rapeseed, canola, sunflower)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 70 ml milk
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 180 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 150 g fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with 8 liners
- Take two bowls – in the first put the egg, yogurt, milk, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix together.
- In the second bowl place all the dry ingredients – sugar, cinnamon powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix together
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together until just combined – don't over mix the batter.
- Fold in the blueberries and spoon the batter into the muffin liners until they are ⅔ full.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, transfer to a cooling rack and leave for 10 minutes. Enjoy!